Monday 23 November 2015

Festive afternoon tea -The Comfy Duck

I've been looking at afternoon tea around Cleethorpes and Grimsby for a couple of weeks now and seen and heard about a lot of places. The Comfy Duck are now offering their Festive afternoon tea. 
I haven't been to the oaklands since prom in 2009 but always here great things about it and follow their gorgeous instagram account that always makes me want to visit. 
After pulling up the drive way and entering the resteraunt we were seated in a gorgeous booth and offered our winter fizz. Which was gorgeous. I don't normally enjoy champage but the creme de casis definitely made a difference the blackcurrant liquer made the champagne sweeter and more enjoyable for me personally. 
While enjoying our winter fizz and waiting for our afternoon tea we sat and talked. The resteraunt was busy and we admired some of the food that went past, their sunday dinners smelt and looked gorgeous.


The afternoon tea is priced at £14.95 and offer different variations for dietary needs such as vegetarian and gluten free. They also do a childs afternoon tea which i thought was a special touch and have not seen anywhere else offer it.

Our first tier offered us our smoked salmon rocket and cream cheese roulate, turkey, spinach, cranberry and mayonaise and the beetroot macaroon with carrot and honey puree. We started with the roulade and they were beautiful. You could tell by the taste that all produce was fresh. Then it came to the macaroon which i was very intrigued with. When i think of macaroons i think of sweet ingredients unlike the savory ingredients in this macaroon. The macaroon itself was sweet from the honey in the pure and was definitely a talking point.

On to the second tier. The parsnip soup wich was a lovely thick soup and i love the way it was served in little tea cups. After the soup I had my little pigs in blanket. Pigs in blanket is my favourite thing on my christmas dinner. I love them. The last thing on the second tier was a roasted chesnut choux bun. The filling was definitely plentiful in my choux bun and tasted lovely.

The top tier of cakes

After the second tier I asked for our pot of tea I definitely needed a break from the food.  After enjoying my cup of tea which definitely was one of the best i've had in a long time I tucked into the top tier although it was hard to pick what to have first.
I went for the mulled wine tart with meringue kiss. This made me think of an ice gem which the table next to us had reffered to aswell but the taste was so good it just made me think of christmas which I don't normally do this time of year. Then i went for the cranberry and apricot panettone with pistachio cream. Now I love pistacho and the cream made the fluffy panettone even better for me. Then I had the had choice on what to enjoy next. The eggnog pana cotta whith christmas pudding crumble or the Terry's orange mouse with christmas tree shortbread. I went for the pana cotta and the small pot was gorgeous and i wish i could recreate it. The christmas pudding and eggnog just married together and i really enjoyed it but I think I saved best til last. The mouse was served in a tea cup with the shortbread planted in. The mouse was heavenly and not to thick it also smelt amazing the smell lingured longer than the mouse lasted. It was definitely my favourite sweet on the afternoon tea. 

By the time we finished our afternoon tea we poured ourself another cup of tea and talked for a while. The afternoon just ran away from us and it was almost 4 when we left as we left we were greeted by a beautiful pink sky.

I would suggest this afternoon tea to anyone and would be great as a chistmas get together or even a christmas present. Afternoon tea is served between half 2 and 4. It may be a good idea to book as the resteraunt is alway busy and they prefer to keep waiting times to a minimum.
The resteraunt itself is open seven days a week and offers an a la carte menu which I am looking forward to trying next month.


Make sure to check out their facebook and instagram for information and great photos - The comfy duck.

Thanks for reading ...x



No comments:

Post a Comment